Thursday, June 14, 2012

Typography is a Dying Art

Nope. Nothing to do with writing today. Just a rant on how paper books are starting to look really crappy.

I was in Barnes and Noble recently, and I flipped through some paperbacks, just browsing for something interesting. I don't read paper books anymore, for a lot of reasons, but I still enjoy browsing. That day I added one more reason to my list of "why I don't read paper books." The typography was horrible. The printing was blurry, and the lines were so close to the binding I'd have had to break the spine to read the first (or last) word on most of the lines.

Come on, publishers. I know paper can be expensive, but you want us to buy the stuff. Make it look good. I downloaded a sample of the same book to my Kindle, and it looked good. Easy to read. Not blurry, and the margins were crisp.

I'm sticking with my decision to continue to exclusively read ebooks. The "look and feel of a paper book" argument doesn't work when the books are so cheaply made (and overpriced).

Getting off my soapbox now.

Werewolf Puppy is almost ready to go to my editor! Just a bit more to work on.

No comments:

Post a Comment